Okay….now I realize I probably know about .0001% about what being a writer actually entails, but this is what I’ve discovered so far:
- First….you must be prepared to wake at all hours of the night to jot down entire paragraphs that possess you randomly while you make an attempt to sleep.
- Second….be prepared to hear voices…(your character’s that is)….
- Understand that Rome wasn’t built in a day…as a matter of fact, work began around 753 B.C. and it’s still being worked on….so…okay…this is not an encouraging example….next…
- You must throw yourself mercilessly into the world of the social-network…aka….Twitter, Facebook, Squidoo, Blogging, etc. and be able to deal with the fact that, “Wow….no one knows I exist.…”
- Time. You must be willing to squeeze every millisecond out of every day to hone your craft….Forget food, forget sleep, forget being alive…JUST WRITE.
- Second guessing…..you will, undoubtedly, second guess what you’ve written. You will re-write the beginning of a story a hundred different ways only to find that the original was the taker. You will also work for countless hours to get one paragraph just right…only to chunk it all together! It’s true people…
- YOU WILL feel unbelievably insignificant swimming around in this immense ocean of authors and writers and agents and editors and publishers….and you will begin to think about the saying that…”The big fish eat the little ones….the big fish eat the little ones…”
- And last but not least….you have to be able to say “I’m a writer.” Say it with me….I’m a writer, I’m a writer, I’m a writer…
Haha….good luck everybody….